Friday, October 23, 2009

Couldn't sleep much due to the jet lag. I slept at 2am (5am EST Australian) and woke up at 8am. I continued to lie on the bed for about another hour later and enough is enough!

Had a quick shower and just headed to the coffee shop across the road for some local breakfast.




The fried bee hoon was so yummy! Even more beautiful when washed down with Ice Horlicks.


Eliss chose otah, fried chicken wings and cabbage for me.


Bon appétit! I find this even more satisfying that having a picnic on the Sydney Harbour Bridge where they closed it for a few hours to launch the month long Crave Sydney festival.


Eliss ordered bar chor mee, but substituted the starch for kway teow (rice noodles).

Why don't they have this in Sydney? I say abolish all the pseudo Singaporean noodles and replace with this stuff here. It's not that hard to cook this!

All you need is super awesome sambal chili, boil the ingredients and mix them all up.


We went to visit Eliss's mum at her you char kway (dough fritters) stall before we took the mrt to the city.

After hearing news that my current EZ Link card cannot be in used as it has passed the deadline to exchange it for a new format, I was quite concerned about the hassle to swop it over.

To my surprise, the counter person was kind enough to do it for me as we told her we just came back from overseas.

Phew!


This was the place where my dad used to bring me to buy second hand DC comics. They all come in boxes, and we need to sort through to find the goodies.

I still have some of them till today. Old school stuff, man.


This area housed many craft shops frequent by art students, so I guess shouldn't be too surprised to see eccentric characters here.


One of Eliss's good friend works at an Optometrist here, so I always get my eyes checked and buy new glasses if I have to.

I got my Oakley Gasket from her last year, so just come here to get it cleaned up professionally.


We walked down to Bugis Junction to escape from the heat. Feeling hungry again, we headed to the foodcourt and realised it was no longer there, and was replaced by food stalls with no places for us to sit.


I have to say Fei Siong fish cakes are super awesome. Coupled with their to die for chilli sauce, it is the perfect snack.


I try to abstain from drinking ang mo beverages and go all out local. Eliss bought ginseng tea and red sugar cane drink for me.


Casey and Dorothy joined us in a bit and took us to a famous chicken rice place near Raffles Hotel. It had got an old world charm, and it's like we are back in the 70's.


They serve their boiled chicken the traditional Hainanese way, sans the gravy as served by their Cantonese counterpart.


This combination stir fry is a made up of roughly cut meat and vegetables. No presentation, just simply no frills, down to earth good tasting food.

We headed for service on the MRT after that.


One thing I notice here, as compared to Taiwan for instance that people ignore priority sitting area. Despite the posters, different coloured chairs, people generally do not really pay attention to this or just sleep on the obvious.


After being squeezed in a tin all the way to Singapore Expo, we arrived at CHC.


It's great to be back in this great church and the sermon was really powerful about being a true worshipper. Pst Tan is awesome delivering the message in such a concise and humourous way.


Derek and Noni, our friends from Sydney came in to join us as well.

We met so many friends after service, you can almost say we were ambushed from all directions.

Good to see that everyone is doing well, and look forward to catch up with all of you!

With some time to spare before supper at Geylang, we went there earlier to explore.

This area is particularly dodgy as it's also the red light district. I don't why some of the best restaurants are in area like this. Think Juju at Kings Cross.

There are people peddling contraband cigarettes off plastic bags on the ground, street walkers standing on the pavement soliciting for business, as lewd old men and sweaty foreign workers size them up.

I wouldn't live here for sure.


This is the famous crab place that we are meeting up for supper. So glad to find a table at their air conditioned VIP area.



Noni was petrified that we actually eat venison here. We had to keep telling her that it's just pork. It was hilarious!


No bull, this is actually on their menu! I know people always get drunk on a Saturday night, I didn't know frogs were the same.

Well, at least the guys won't end up on a plate in a restaurant.


The piece de resistance, Singapore Chilli Crab! Live mud crab simmered in chilli gravy with eggs.


The guys got their hands on the biggest pincers.


Jess and Mark soaking up all the gravy, leaving nothing to waste.


Do I need to further explain how good the food was?

No comments: